Friday 10 December 2010

Forever 21 Cosmetics: e.l.f Knockouts For Higher Prices?

In browsing on the Forever 21 website when making my Christmas wishlist, I took a look at their cosmetics section. What I found really interesting was that they were selling items that look EXACTLY like e.l.f products and may even just be e.l.f products but with their own labels on them. ALSO, they're selling them for higher prices. That's the only thing I don't like about it. I'm sure they have permission from e.l.f, but why are they setting higher prices for items that are exactly the same as the e.l.f products that you could get for cheaper?

The Beauty Journal: Glamorous Smoky Eye Palette (this is the same as the e.l.f Beauty Book Smokey Eye Edition)
This is the inside, and I can promise you, it's exactly the same as the e.l.f one:
The only difference? The price.

Forever 21: $6.80
e.l.f: $5.00

Concealer & Highlighter Duo (this is the same as the Studio Under Eye Concealer & Highlighter)
Again, the only difference? Price.

Forever 21: $3.80
e.l.f: $3.00

100 Piece Eyeshadow Palette (exactly the same as the one e.l.f does)

BUT, Forever 21 are charging almost $6 more!!

Forever 21: $15.80
e.l.f: $10.00

This annoys me slightly just because this is a clear case of paying extra for the brand. ANYWAYS, that's a slight rant I guess, but I noticed it and figured I'd share it with you ladies and find out your opinions!

6 comments:

  1. thanks for posting this.. good 2 know..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting, I just had a look and the 32 palette is also EXACTLY the same! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious and sad to me.. Hilarious because I'll not get caught in that thing, but sad because they'll make money on people that are maybe unaware of ELF's existance... :S

    Marie
    marielovesmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate it when companies do this! I saw 2 palettes at a Mandee's store that looked EXACTLY like Too Faced's Smokey Eye and Natural Eye palettes. It was a lot cheaper, but still...that's kind of messed up that they completely copied their packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed the same thing yesterday. Now I'm wondering what company in China is making the cosmetics and if elf and F21 know that they are getting the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you know what's really funny:

    http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=beauty_viewall&product_id=1000010180&Page=all

    Looks like they forgot to photoshop out ELF's plastic cover in this one.

    Although it does make me wonder if maybe ELF is mass produced and Forever 21 just bought from the same manufacturer..Hm.

    ReplyDelete