Thursday 30 September 2010

E.L.F Cranberry Nail Polish v Ciate Paint Pot in Dangerous Affair

When I was in the shop today, I noticed the November issue of Marie Claire. I instantly grabbed it to see what the free gift was, since that's my favorite part about buying magazines, hehe. Upon realizing that it was a free Ciate nail polish, I decided to buy it. I noticed that the color looked exactly like the E.L.F Cranberry Nail Polish currently on my fingernails, but I wanted it anyways!


So have I found a dupe? By golly, I think I have! (sorry).

Sure, the Cranberry polish has a bit of glitter while Dangerous Affair doesn't, but on such a dark color, you don't even notice, unless you put your face right up to your finger nails, and let's face it ladies, we don't do that, do we?


And okay, yes, Dangerous Affair is slightly more shiny....which almost makes me prefer it, except for the fact that it retails for 9 pounds whereas the Cranberry nail polish is only 1.50! And I had to apply 3 coats of each so I can't say the Ciate nail polish is really any better quality than the E.L.F one.


The Ciate brush / long and round handle certainly do make application easier as opposed to E.L.F's squared one, but hey, I can deal with that.


Overall, I'm not inclined to shell out the 9 pounds for the Ciate nail polish just because it's shinier and has a cute little bow on it, and I recommend if you want either, you go for the cheaper alternative of E.L.F's Cranberry.



*Note: I wrote this before I actually went to take the photos, and when I put my nails under the studio light, I realized Dangerous Affair became quite red. x_x But the thing is, it doesn't look this red unless you get into bright light, as you can see from the photos above. See how red it gets in the light!?:

But take my word for it, in regular light it doesn't look that red. That's underneath an actual studio light used for photography etc etc, lol, so it's rather bright.

Besides, Cranberry went quite red under the light as well, see?:
So what do you guys think? DUPE?

3 comments:

  1. I agree, those look pretty similar! We never get freebies with magazines here in Quebec )=

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, in fact I like Cranberry better.

    I wish there were freebies with magazines in the US. The only freebies you get is usually a crappy tote bag with the purchase of a subscription!

    http://www.glamorousgirl2014.blogspot.com/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh the colours look fab!! Im a bit nervous to try reds, maybe i'll invest in the mag, so if I dont like it, i'll still have a magazine! Haha!

    Daisy xx

    ReplyDelete